written by: Breast Cancer Yoga Staff
Women undergoing treatment for breast cancer may find themselves highly stressed and are encouraged to look for complementary therapies to ease this stress. Breathing is one therapy of great value in reducing stress during the holidays. Developing a breathing practice helps place the patient’s unsettled and anxious mind at ease and allows for the coming back to a “normal” quality of life. This way holidays can be experienced with joy and not dread.
Breathing to Reduce Stress During the Holidays
Learning specific breathing exercises found on our Breathe With Purpose CD and creating a daily breathing practice as described below will help overcome stress and anxiety during cancer treatments this holiday season.
Beginners Guide To Starting A Breathing Exercise Practice
• Start with 5 or 10 minutes first and gradually increase up to one hour.
• Be as comfortable as possible by wearing warm, loose clothing.
• Breathing exercises should be performed ideally three hours after meals, allowing the stomach to be empty.
• Your mouth should be clean and fresh.
• We recommended breathing exercises be done early in the morning however, breathing exercises can be enjoyed anytime especially when under stress and anxiety.
• Find a place that is quiet and airy; a place where no one or thing can distract you or the breathing practice.
• Find a time of the day where you can establish a rhythm or routine and try to stick it; build a strong foundation.
Breathing exercises may be done in a space we hold for ourselves to be quiet and draw in positives for our mind and spirit. The stress is not supported in this space but only our wellness, and of course the holiday joy. Happy holidays to everyone from all of us at Breast Cancer Yoga.
About Dawn Bradford Lange: Co-founder of Breast Cancer Yoga. Dawn is making a difference with Breast Cancer Yoga therapeutic products designed to support you emotionally and physically during breast cancer . We want to give you the attention and personal service you need so please email us at email@example.com if you have questions.
Featured Photo Source: aarohatiyoga.wordpress.com